1) Lesson details for Monday 16th and Tuesday 17th October 2017. 2)Dates to Diarise for the final term
3) Saturday Buddy Reader Programme - starting Saturday 14 October 2017. Call for Volunteers.
3)Wish List for FEP learners needing assistance
1) LESSONS THIS COMING WEEK
MONDAY 16TH OCTOBER 2017 - Grade 3 Lesson
We will meet as usual at Dainfern Valley Shopping Centre outside Piatto at 9am on Monday.
The Grade 3 theme over the next few weeks is "UNDER THE SEA".
The focus this coming Monday will be on "sea animals" and aquariums. The leaders can ask the learners about the sea animals that they may be familiar with, and then discuss the main animals listed in their workbooks. It may be useful to refer to their workbooks as there would be pictures of the various animals as well as stickers at the back of the books which will help bring the various animals to life.
We will have templates of various sea animals for the children to colour in, cut our and hang in the "aquariums" that we have built using boxes (thank you Meghan :-)
The Green and Purple groups will
- if time, continue to revise some of the sounds covered to date
- discuss aquariums and sea animals
- colour in the various pictures
- cut our and hang coloured pictures into the aquariums.
- Special visitors are visiting this group on Monday including a teacher from Scotland. Every child in the blue group is going to receive a letter from a child in Scotland and the majority of this lesson will be spent with the kids responding to these letters.
- If time the blue group may recap on certain Green level sounds.
- continue with 4 sound words
- build the aquariums as above
TUESDAY 17 October 2017 - Grade 2 Lesson
We now meet at at 8:30am on a Tuesday in the parking lot outside Piatto's at Dainfern Valley Shopping Centre. We leave a few minutes after 8:30 so that we're able to get to the school for a 9am start.
We will continue to
build (segment); manipulate; read (blend) words in the Pink and/or Blue levels working with 3 and 4 sound words.
2) "DATES TO DIARISE"
Monday 16, 23, 30 October, 6 November
- Monday lessons as as usual with the Grade 3 learners
Deepa Rai, one of our Tuesday volunteers will be working with the school and Edu Fun to co-ordinate a Saturday Buddy Reading programme with a group of Grade 3 learners at Diepsloot Combined School for the final term.
This is a good opportunity for
The Grade 3 learners who are a bit behind with their reading to get a boost before the end of the year.
Potential volunteers who work or go to school in the week to get involved on a weekend
Current volunteers to involve their spouses and children in volunteer work.
High school children to clock their "community hours" which are compulsory at several schools.
Reading Therapists in training to gain practical experience and meet their internship requirements whilst providing 1:1 or small group reading instruction to children who would not be able to afford private lessons, which is a real – win-win.
The programme is starting tomorrow Saturday 14 October at Diepsloot Combined School and run until Saturday 18 November 2017. (6 sessions until the end of year).
Times: 10am (back in Dainfern by 12pm)
We will meet at Dainfern Valley Shopping Centre at 9:30am on Saturdays and car pool to the school.
There will be a brief Buddy Reader workshop for new volunteers on the first Saturday.
Thank you to those of you who are able to join us.
General Needs - FEP students
Smart phones, laptops and toiletries are items that are needed by most students. It is difficult to get second hand lap tops as they are often destroyed to protect confidential data and software. If you're able to access working lap tops where the hard drives have been removed, we will still be able to use them as buying a hard drive is cheaper than buying a new lap top.
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.